Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

To Game or not to game...who cares anymore?

 Well, 

That title seems a bit disheartening now doesn't it? Sorry to sound depressing, but thats how I am starting to feeling with my gaming of late. With the state of the world right now and having to be in lock down I am starting to really wonder if gaming will ever get back to normal. What started out as "Flatten the Curve" has turned into life being turned upside down and I am wondering why do I still collect stuff for games.

They say that it takes the brain 21 days to form a new habit, for some things a tad longer, what about months of doing the same thing? Up until about 3 weeks ago I was still working on my own projects and still had hope of possible games, but maybe its the holidays or maybe I have just tired of all of this but my interest in games is falling into a dont give a crap attitude. I have been watching lots of videos on Youtube about games and projects, but those are getting old and I am finding it hard to be excited about gaming.

Of late, I have been getting more involved in Model Railroading as this tends to be more of a solo project and may be turning my attention to this more then gaming. Buying, building, painting models is just not very exciting anymore with out the opportunity to use them in a game, maybe thats what I am getting from model railroading, I am getting a sense of satisfaction from using it unlike gaming right now.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get this off my chest and putting it here helps with that.

TK

5 comments:

Tom O said...

I certainly get it. I have had a difficult time staying engaged with the hobby, but the few games I have gotten in have certainly helped me remember how much I enjoy gaming. I understand taking a step away to do something more fulfilling, and if that means a temporary or even a permanent (I hope not) hiatus from gaming, so be it. Trying to stay happy is important, so taking the steps to do that make sense.

A J said...

It's understandable. We all experience a low ebb in our hobbies at one time or another. Taking up a new hobby often allows our previous interests to recharge, so to speak. I haven't had much opportunity to get many solo games in this year. Our garden takes up a lot of time from the late spring through summer into fall.

daveb said...

Yes, with the 2nd wave and lockdowns part duex it's definitely been a spiritual grind that saps hobby enjoyment. Do what feels better right now. Avoid liquidating your collection when it's probably a temporary ebb of interest. Things will get better eventually.....it'll be hard for 2021 to be as lame as 2020 was/is.

Tim Kulinski said...

@ Tom, yeah I have had a few games with Robert, but it was not like before. Well it looks like I corrupted Rob back into Model Railroading.

@ AJ I think thats why Model Railroading has pulled me back, it something else to keep my mind busy during all of this.

@ daveb no I will not be getting ride of anything, although I am taking stock of what will not be back on the game table.

Tom O said...

Narrowing your focus and sticking to games you already have enough stuff to play without feeling like you have to keep building new stuff should help. If you do decide to thin your collection, let me know.