Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Does Anyone still read blogs?

 So,


Its been a long while, well really over a year now since I posted anything to this blog. My brother was giving me grief about not updating it and I told him that no one really reads blogs anymore. Heck there are very few that I even check out in my favorites so I am guilty of it as well.

So it got me thinking, why have blogs fallen by the way side? You would think for most of the lock down that blogs would be flourishing, but not the case. Perhaps its what I call the FB effect?

The FB effect is obviously Facebook, and other Social Media outlets, its easier to post up a few words and pictures or read just a few of those words rather then be bothered to read a whole blog post. Once again I am guilty of this as I have an Instagram account and I check that more then I do FB or even my own blog feed. I think the younger generation likes to get their info fast and without a lot of words, why would I want to read a blog post where the writer is just blah blah blah going on?

I also think the decline is in creators and writers of the blogs, once again I am to blame. When the Global pandemic hit, many of the hobbies I do went away as they are very social things, especially war gaming. If I was not playing, why should I bother with posting about what I was doing. For me, I started doing more things on my own, like riding my bike again, which is a very solo thing. 

I guess I was just burned out on social media and the constant rumble from all sides that I retreated from looking or posting very much. And to be real, its way easier to just post pics then be bothered with writing anything up.

But last night it got me thinking, why did I start this blog? Was it to reach the masses with my mediocre painting? Or was it to document what I am doing in my hobby life? The answer was to document and have a place for all my work and to see for myself what have I been doing.

As I thought about this, I have been very busy painting with gaming only happening at least once a month now if I am lucky, but I am kicking out more models at a good pace. The problem is I was not posting them here to the blog. I have them in other places then this blog, so today lets fix that.

Skull Forge Studios Not Storm troopers   

I have been on a Star Wars kick thanks to shows like Mandolorian and Book of Fett and have been painting up some cool 3d Prints for a group game that I want to run in the very near future using Galactic Heros from Wiley games

More Not Stormtroopers from Skullforge Studios

And just to show you how much painting I am doing, here is a container full of models.

Thats alot of 3d printed models!

So hopefully I can revive my interest in blogging and make weekly updates again. I have missed not documenting my progress and I need to get back to this, at least for my brother anyway! LOL

So sorry for the long absents but life has a way of throwing a curve ball and changing directions on you. I have more models to post and talk about so stay tuned.

TK

9 comments:

daveb said...

Welcome back. Facebook etc is a bit easier to post and comment. But the curation is shit.....it's almost impossible to find that old thing anymore. It doesn't help that Google has made blogger more annoying to use (editor 'upgrades'). I think there are still lots of blog activity but it fragmented a bit. So of you ended up in a shattered pond of links or seems very quiet.

Thom Ferris said...

I still read blogs. :)

A friend and I also have a blog, but we both have found its much more difficult to keep up with. I have found that I post much more to Instagram with my hobby projects and painting. Like you, I do it for myself, but I just find Instagram easier to use

Chris B. said...

Yep... liked your not-quite-storm troopers. I do not do it as often as I once did, but I still look around once in a while.

Chris B.

Douglas2 said...

One person at least. Started mine to document activities, so I could look back and see I had actually done something, lack of feedback is disheartening when I think of the effort involved in posting which could be better spent making,painting and playing.but equally guilty of not commenting on others efforts.

Mad Padre said...

Hi Tim:
Glad to see you still,posting. I think we all have neglected blogs, thinking they are very 20 oughts and made obsolete by social media. Lately I’ve been returning to mine and enjoying others’. Nice stormtroopers, like the weathered veteran look.
Cheers, Mike

[ 2D ] said...

Yep. :)

Richard Clyne said...

I use an RSS reader so I see posts when they happen. If some blogs are daily posts that's fine, if some are annual that's also fine. It's up to th poster and what they want to do

Tom O said...

Yes, I still follow and read blogs. It's part of the hobby, and you know my philosophy...if it makes you happy, do it. Hopefully it does...but if it doesn't, then no worries.

Muskie said...

They are definitely old fashion. People like the immediacy of the Gram. I can post a model from 10 or 20 years ago and get likes. I'm not sure how many but likely 10 or 20, whereas a blog post from 10 or 20 years ago with the fully detailed painting and converting instructions of the same model will get not hits, not likes, not comments.

A big part of the blame besides cell phones and short attention spans is the Google algorithm. Google wants to send you to YouTube then Mark at Facebook and Instagram want to send you to reals and people nowadays want to make money from their social media activities. Maintaining a blog for 10 or 20 years for a hobby is so 1990s. Supposedly Apple is making a search engine, but as long as walled gardens exist where links to say blogs are punished and where the top search engine is more interested in selling ads and sending you to a web property they own, blogs will be in the dark corners of the world wide web.

A popular tech blog connected to a large social media presence can be an exception, as is a blog that can be better monetized than pictures of minis I just painted, but yeah starting or restarting a blog this year there is some nostalgia, especially longtime readers who are subscribed, but expecting to dominate Google let alone outrank a YouTube video that just repeats something that was in a blog or forum first is naive.

Good luck though.