Pages

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Tanks galore

Well,


One of my goals this year is to get more WW2 to the table since its a period of history I am really interested in. So a few weeks ago Rob & I were talking about doing a cool large group game using his WW2 rules Hammer & Anvil (A mod of 40k & LotR). So after talking about it, we choose to do a Normandy game based on the Villers Bocage & Hill 212 engagement, where Michael Whittman became infamous for destroying a ton of British armour.


So Rob & I started planning it out and decided that we would need at least an 8'x8' table to do it right. Now I will say we are cheating and using the Flames of War, Villers Bocage book for inspiration. So in the next few months we will be tackling the terrain, but besides cool looking terrain we are going to need Armour! So since we are doing this in 28mm, we dove in and started buying 1/48th scale armour from Tamiya. We figure we need 4 Tigers, which Rob has 2 already & I have one, but we will also need something like 12 British tanks. So Rob has already posted his pictures of his Firefly & Cromwell's here http://dspaintingblog.blogspot.com/

So here are my two tanks, I still need one more Cromwell and I am waiting for it to arrive, but my Firefly and 1 Cromwell are done. So here they are, first up the Firefly.

As you will notice I weathered up my tanks to match Robs, using the Liquetex method and black wash, although my wash is a little less extreme than his.

You will also note that the commanders hatch is open on the turret. I plan on putting a TC (Tank Commander) up there once I pick up the Tamiya British crew set.


Next up is the Cromwell, which is weathered up in the same manner as the Firefly.



I have to say I really like how the "mud" effect came out on these tanks & Robs. It was simple, just smear the Liquetex Resin Sand on the tanks, mash in some coarse ground foam & throw in some static grass and let dry. Once it is dry, I used Americana color Mississippi Mude and painted it on the "mud". After that it was a black wash and that was it. Pretty simple really and I wonder why I have not done this on my Imperial Guard tanks...Hmm, I see another project comming.

One last picture, I have three cats and they love to be in the "Game Room" while I work. Sydney happened to be sitting on the other side of the game table when I was shooting the pictures of the tanks. It sort of reminds me on the old "Kilroy was here" cartoons the GI's used to write on walls & vehicles, so here is my "Sydney was Here" picture.

TK

4 comments:

Robert said...

Looking good! One critique...the wheels on the Sherman are clean...

Tim Kulinski said...

I know, I saw that as well & corrected that after taking the pictures. Ran a wash of Mississippi Mud color on them...

Tom O said...

Good stuff Tim! Could you do that mud effect on some of the tanks you are doing for me?

Tim Kulinski said...

Once I get to building them I could do that...