Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Well it's been awhile since I posted and I need to bring some folks up to speed on whats been going on. So here goes:


Lord of the Rings Campaign - We got started on this last weekend (June 3rd) over at Lonnie's place and we had a great time. The players that were there were Myself playing Easterlings, Rob playing Isengard, Carl playing Moria Goblins & Tom F playing Mordor Orcs. The Good side that was opposing us had Howard playing Elves, Mike playing Dwarves, Lonnie playing Rohhan & Tom O (who couldn't make it) playing Gondor.
For this campaign I'm Using the Fantasy Flight map from their game War of the Ring, and each player had to nominate a capital and place there armies. The good side & their capitals were Howard's Elves in the Grey Heavans, Lonnie' Rohan in Edoras, Mike's Dwarves in Erbor & Tom O's Gondor forces in Minas Tirith. The Evil sides captials were Tom F's Mordor Orcs in Gorgoroth, Rob's Urkhai in Orthanc, Carl's Goblins in Agmar & I was in the South Rhun.




Turn 1 of the campaign saw all the armies redeploying to strike later except Rohan vs Isengard fighting for the Westemnet with two 500 point armies playing the High Ground Scenario. The Urk hai barely got a Minor Victory but they had a huge moral victory with the killing of Emor who was leading the Rohan force.




Turn 2 saw more movement with armies and once again Rohan decided to push the fight against the Urk hai in Westemnet again but by sending 750 points against a 500 point Urk Hai army. The battle fought was Reconnitre and Rohan had a Major Victory. The other battle that took place was between the Dwarves against the Easterlings in North Rhun. The battle was Contest of Champions and the dwarves surprised the Easterlings and massacred them to a man in this fight and took the Noth Rhun territory.



All in all we had a blast, the guys that didn't play campaign games played pick up games and we had a blast. Also I must mention that we were playing in Lonnie's garage and it was about 100 degrees out, but Lonnie had a portable swamp cooler and it made it nice inside the garage. The only thing that was hot was when I was out BBqing the food, but hey it was worth it!


On to this past weekend, we had our 5 Warhammer Ancients tournament http://wab.bluedream.com/ over at Imperial Outpost games. It was an open tournament which meant that anyone could fight anyone. Usually we try and keep same historical opponents matched up together, but this won meant you could be playing Romans vs Vikings in any game.


Well I took my Vikings again and I did pretty well going 1 tie, 1 win, 1 loss. My first game was against Mike playing a Danish Viking army and it was Meeting engagement. The game was close and I thought I had a loss, but it was only a tie.


My second game was against Rob and his Saxon army and we were playing Take and Hold. Rob surprised me with a huge (64 man!) unit of Saxons that he marched up & parked 3" away from the center of the table (and the objective). It was a hard fight and it looked close until that last turn which I broke his Generals Unit and caused them to flee. With that I secured a victory.


My last game was against Tom and his Late Romans. Now I have to say I hate playing out of period play and this game showed that. Tom played a great game and had control of the battle the whole time, but what can a Viking army do against Cav and being outnumbered on the table.



All in all I finished toward the top of the pack, although there was only 10 of us playing. I got to take home a pack of Gripping Beast Pict Nobles that Darren at Gripping Beast had sent as a prize. So it looks like I have my first new unit for my Pict army. Also I have to say thanks to Tom O for running this event & to all our supporters that sent Prizes, Warhammer Historical, Gripping Beast, Perry Mi natures, War Games & Darren at Imperial Outpost. We had enough stuff to give everyone a prize.



Oh had to include this photo because I thought it was too funny! This is the Saxon King I played in the second game, I think he was trying to get his victory dance on before the game started!


Here are two more photos that set the tone of the event, Al (the guy smiling) likes to watch!

And here Tom is trying to bribe Rob with some sort of Lood Scottish suggestion.

Also things on a Pirate front have been moving along well, my Pirate Project officially has a name now, it called Legends of the High Seas, which I wrote for Warhammer Historicals. It is going to be released sometime around September or October of this year by Warhammer Historical. It's based on the great game that Mark Latham wrote, Legends of the Old West, but this set of rules deals with Pirates & ship Battles. I have heard that this week the book starts layout work and set ups as well as the pictures will be taken for it. So I'm looking forward to seeing this hit the shelves and with the Pirate craze of Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds end, this book should sail right off of the shelves.

Well that's it for now, will try and do a better job of updating...

TK

No comments: