Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

The Local Gaming Scene

Well, it's been awhile since my last post, I was supposed to be covering & playing in a local team tournament for 40K. but my teamate had to cancel and all my back ups were busy, so I didn't get to play. But instead of feeling disappointed in not be able to play, I was a little relieved that I didn't play.

Let me state that it wasn't because of my teamate, I have played this type of game with him before & I had a blast. I think what was worring to me was the attitude of the players at this particular store. You see I have heard rumablings that this store has had some players that like to win at all cost, even to the point of bending some of the rules. I have seen this in person when I used to play WHFB many moons ago at this shop and I have seen this in 40K as well. This attitude also seems to be tolorated or overlooked by the shops employees. So I guess the question is this, does the store breed this type of power gamer or is it my imagination?

I have been thinking about this for a while now and I'm not sure. How much control does a shop have controll over it's patrons that frequent it? Can the store lay down some sort of moral conduct for games or is the shop overstepping it's bounds? I'm not sure what the correct answer is or if there is really a problem.

Perhaps it's me, maybe my attitude is changing and I just have a short tolorance for this sort of attitude. I do admit, that I am a very picky gamer now, I could even be considered a snob because the way I game. You see I only like to game with folks that have the same sort of ideas for games, thats to have fun. We don't get all hung up over who has the better army or who has the better win ratio, we just play to have a good time.

Now I know tournaments can bring out the worst in people, but I have played in a few Historical & LotR tourneis that have not had this attitude about them. Perhaps its just me, maybe I'm getting too old for this, who knows...

TK

No comments: