Pages

Wednesday, August 05, 2020

The Sea Duck

Well, 

This took longer then I thought, but I got the Sea Duck completed last night. This is a Lindberg 1/48th Grumman Goose kit which I will use for Pulp gaming. if your old enough you will recognize this plane from the Tales of the Golden Monkey series that used to be on TV back in the 1980's.

1/48th scale kit

This kit is a fairly simple kit and the detail is not that great, but as a gaming piece, its perfect and the price is very reasonable, I think I paid $15.00 including shipping.

Built in only about an hour, that's how simple of a kit it is.

As I was going to be using this as a gaming piece, I assembled the entire kit in about an hour and even glued in the windows as I would paint over them. The kit has no detail inside, so that was a major reason I would paint over the windows.

All built and ready for the paint. 

I sprayed the entire model in a nice looking gray from Tamyia (actual IJN grey). I then waited a week for it to dry and then masked off the areas to be painted black and shot that color on. I wanted to use all rattle cans for this project. Once I let that dry, I cam back in and hand painted the cowls red with thin coats of Reaper Red. I then painted up the engine and washed it with strong tone wash.

At this point I realized that I sis not do a great job of masking off the aircraft and some of the black bleed through, no worries I thought, I would just touch up and color match the areas. Well that did not work and now I had different colors. I contemplated re shooting the plane and masking off the areas (cowlings) in the grey, but after thinking about it, I decided to use Reaper Blitzkrieg Grey (from the CAV line of paints) to repaint the aircraft to more of a white color by hand. Now being a gamer, I am used to that, but was worried about it as I use thin coats of paint and when I started on it I thought I messed it up even more. So I went to bed and hoped that the plave got lost in the Bermuda triangle or something.  

Looks much better!

Well after sleeping on it, I went back to the plane and started another coat of paint, this time it went much better as the first coat was not covering it completely but the second coat was. This gave me hope and I pressed on. I touched up the black areas that I had made a mess on and finished the windows. Now I am happy to say its completed and doesn't look to bad (still not perfect, but as a game piece it works).

Nice clean lines

So now all I had to do was come up with a name, which I decided that it would be called The Sea Duck (from a animated TV show) and came up with a back story for the pilot, Jonathan Harrington, dashing explorer, daring treasure hunter and all around good guy!

This was supposed to be a quick project, but it lasted longer then I had planned, but its nice to call it done and now I can move onto other projects.

TK 

1 comment:

A J said...

A nice result, even if it did take longer than expected. The Goose is one of my favourite aircraft. I believe it's still made today in small numbers, although now it has turboprop engines.