Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Trainsgiving!

 So,

As I wrote a few post ago, I was giving a huge collection of HO train equipment from a good friend and among the ready to run rolling stock were a few old school '"shake the box" kits from Athearn, MDC and some Walthers Classics. So I decided that I wanted to get a few of them put togetherand do some weathering. First up this CNW Covered hopper which is an Athearn custom paint by Bev Bel .

As its a yellow I wanted to tone it down, so I used Some Vallejo Black Wash thinned down with water and kept it to the raised areas.

Athearn Shake the Box kit.

For the underside I used Vallejo Engine Brown Grime dry brushed on the underside but kept it pretty light I also added metal wheels from Inter-mountain Railway as well as added a few Kadee couplers. 


Metal Wheels and grime 

Other end

Once I got that one together I decided to work on another one for CMA which was an Athearn kit as well. Same thing as the other one, weathering wheels and couplers.  

Another unique Bev Bel custom paint. 

At this point I ran out of metal wheels, but was still feeling like building kits, so I busted out this Athearn kit. I still need to do weathering but will do that once I pick up some metal wheels. 

Another old Athearn kit

Next up was a Walthers Classic boxcar, this one gave me some issues as the boxcar walls had squeezed inwards causing the roof not to fit properly. So I busted out some plastic and made a few gussets to keep it in the correct shape. I always like the GWSpaint job and need to locate a few more.

Golden West Service Wathers kit.Add caption

Next up was this classic MDC kit for the WP car, I used to have a bunch of these cars and was bummed when I could not find them anymore, especially for the older price! 

MDC classic kit

Next up was this Athearn mechanical reefer, I used to have a bunch of these as well, now the glide the rails of a buddies layout in CA.

Athearn reefer

Last up, an SP caboose from Athearn Genesis kits, this one is non lighted, but its a beautiful model. The time frame I model early to mid 1990's, SP was still running a few cabooses on local trains and special trains. Its just a great looking model I had to put it on my layout.

Athearn Genesis Caboose

So there you go, a few kits that I have gotten built, I know need to get more couplers and wheel sets to finish up the rest.

Happy Trainsgiving and thanks for stopping by.

TK



No comments: