Pages

Monday, January 15, 2018

Goals for 2018, sort of...

Well,

I have been thinking about what goals I want to accomplish in 2018 for my hobby, I know it’s already started, but I wanted to just put something down on the old blog. One thing I noticed with my hobby is that it really hasn’t been my hobby for a while. My hobby time has always seemed to be focused on others hobby projects, which is not a bad thing, but I needed to figure out what “My” hobby is.

So, I had to go back in time to figure out when I was really enjoying my hobby of playing with toy soldiers. That time trip back had me the happiest when I was really working on my Lord of the Rings projects. I was building terrain, painting miniatures and staying focused on LotR. Before that it was WAB and many of the WW2 games my buddy Drunkensamuari were playing.

At first, I thought it was the games themselves that I was missing, which was part of it, but then I did some more thinking on the matter and identified one important part. The real key was the focus on the hobby, I was lacking focus on my hobby. I was all over the place with different projects and was just working on those to fill time. There was no real rhyme or reason to what I was doing, just working on whatever I wanted. Now this was not a bad thing, but I felt like I was not getting anything done. In years past I could see my progress because I stayed focused on one project and I was able to produce more terrain or painted figures. I was spending time reading about whatever project I was working on and planning new armies, collecting models for these projects and planning new terrain for those said projects.

That was my issue, a lack of focus on any of the things I was doing. I was just going through the motions of doing my hobby and had no real focus. I think part of the lack of focus was just how many games that I was playing or were about to come out. As most gamers, I want it all, but the realization is that I may be able to buy everything, but I will not be able to play everything. Last year I tried and purchased many games and some only made it to the table once, some never even hit the table. This was causing lack of focus and too some degree, stress in my stress-free hobby.

So, for 2018 I am going to try to stay focused on a few projects and actively work towards those. With that in mind, here are a few things I will try to stay focused on moving forward.

CAV SO

I will once again be working on CAV SO, I am also working with the author of the game to try and get more exposure for this great giant stompy robot game. I have a large collection of models that need to be built and painted as well as a large 28mm scale Dictator that needs to be built and painted.

WW2 in 28mm

Bolt Action has been the main game of choice for us here in my gaming group. So I am sure that will stay the same, but most of us would rather play the 1st edition on the rules as to the 2nd edition. To that end, Drunken and I are working on pacific theater armies, he with Marines and me working on Imperial Japanese. I am currently reading “With the Old Breed” by E.B. Sledge, this is a great book that covers the battle of Peleliu and Okinawa and gives you a glimpse of what it was like to fight in the Pacific theater.

Blood Bowl

I will continue to work on the back log of all the Blood Bowl figures I have, I am currently working on repainting my wife’s old Elf team. All I am doing is touch ups as opposed to repainting. Blood Bowl was my second GW game, and I have a passion for the figures and just love the idea of the game. I am doing a little get together for a few friends called Taco Bowl I, which will see about eight of us playing three games against each other.

Warhammer Quest

So, Last year my brother moved to Arizona, we used to play lots of Warhammer Quest. Since he moved to AZ, we have been monthly getting together to play. Well one of the first things he told me was that I needed to paint up all my Quest models. So, this past year I have been working towards having a fully painted Warhammer Quest set. I am close to getting there, that’s if I stop looking for old Warhammer Fantasy models to buy!

Space Hulk

So, this was the first GW game I ever bought and last year I picked up the new copy. One reason for picking it up was that I lost my copies of the rules and the Deathwing supplement of the rules. Another reason is I like the new models, so I plan to get a fully painted up copy of Space Hulk before the year is up. I got one game in already with Drunken before the year was up, look forward too many more.

Frostgrave

Well I have still a bunch of models that I need to get painted, Drunken and I have plans to get this out on the table more this year. So, I will be working on getting another Warband completed as well as a few more creatures for the game. I keep toying with the idea of doing some snow terrain, but not sure on that one.

Saga

Rumor mill has it that we are getting a new edition of Saga this year. When I heard about that I put a hold on my 2nd Viking army as well as my Moor army. We are all waiting to see what the new rules look like, and if they work we will continue to play and I will get two more armies ready for play. Heck, I may just paint the Vikings just for the fun of it as well. 

Black Powder
Well the ACW project for BP is ending, although it seems that there are only a few of us still working on it. This weekend Drunken & I will be getting in a game to remember how to play. We have also been talking about the War of 1812, so we could see where that goes.

So, there you have it, 8 things that I will hopefully stay focused on in 2018, we shall see how that goes. Stay tuned folks…


TK

6 comments:

Mike G. said...

Looks like a stack of great games to play!

Tim Kulinski said...

Yeah it does, I hope I can get to all of them.

daveb said...

I was going to suggest that's a lot of games to 'focus' on, but then thinking about my own scattered energies that seems pretty reasonable. It's just as easy to get burnt out on too few items as too many. Seems like an excellent collection of games to be working on.

Tim Kulinski said...

Dave, it looks like a lot, but really its not, things like Space hulk and Blood Bowl will only see the table once in a while. So in reality its not really that big. But who knows, I could loose focus at any time. We shall see.

Robert said...

Well...good luck!

Tim Kulinski said...

Well...Thanks Robert