Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lord of the Rings

Okay,

I have been wondering about the Games Workshop game Lord of the Rings. What I have been wondering is why it hasn't really taken off here in the states. I have spent some time snooping around some other forums and came across a post that stated GW has moved 30 slots in their LotR tournament at Grand tournaments, to 40k. Now I understand 40k is a popular game but why dosn't LotR catch on?

So here is what I came up with,

1. LotR is not pushed in many shops. In my local shop, LotR was never given a chance because of the store employees. I had one employee tell me that he didn't like the gmae because of the one dice roll to see who won combat, he dismissed it as a childs game because it wasn't like Warhammer or 40K. Also the store owner dumped all his stock because it wasn't moving. Now I wonder if he knew his employee was the one telling everyone just how bad the game "sucked" to all potental people interested in buying the game. (Said employee no longer works there thank goodness). But the damage is done & the locals in the shop all feel the same way now.

2. The movies are not playing in theaters anymore. I think since the movies are now out, the Lord of the Rings fever has now subsided. While the movies were comming out, there was a huge marketing blitz that kept JRR Tolkens work in the news just about every day. Now that it's not, most people have forgotten about the movies. I only hope Peter jackson decides to do the Hobbit as a movie, this may re-awaken people to the game.

3. Cost. I think that the cost of the minis seems hard to believe for most folks. Lotr stuff is by far the cheapest figures out there by GW. Most gamers can't believe you get 20 plastic figures for $25.00 bucks were a WHFB unit of 16 figures cost $30.00!

4. GW's organazation of the line. GW has a huge line of figures for LotR, but the way the Website is organized is terriable. It's hard to navigate and find what your looking for, you can find it, but it takes time. It looks like they are starting to get things inline, so this shouldn't be a problem in the future. Also the rules are scattered over a few different books. You have the big "One" rulebook, but then you have supplements all over the place. but like I said, they are taking steps to bring this in line. The Legions of Middle earth book, Ruins of Arnor & the new Dwarf book seem to be headed in the right direction.

These are just a few things that are causing LotR not to be played here in the states, but this is just my two cents, I could be wrong. All I have to say is that this is by far the best game that GW has put out in a long time and we see off shoots of it coming out already like Legends of the Old West & other legends titles are sure to follow.

So basicly this is my attempt to try and get more folks to take another look at one of the best fantasy game out there...

TK

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, it's too bad, too. It's a good game.

Tim Kulinski said...

I know it's by far the best game GW has done. I just wish folks would take a second look at it. And heck the prices are great too.

Robert said...

I know more people playing it now than when it came out 5 years ago!

John said...

Go check out the LOTR MMORPG. I think they are still having an open beta, a good way to get your feet wet with online gaming ya newb!